11.28.2006

Another Author Passes On . . .

Elizabeth Bebe Moore Campbell Gordon, best selling author and mental advocate, died on Monday, November 27, due to complications related to brain cancer (read the press release). After learning of this, and even though -- if you've visited her site you knew of her illness -- still, I realized how quietly some people slip away.

Your Blues Ain't Like Mine was the first book I read by Bebe Moore Campbell, it was a gift to me from a friend and I enjoyed it. So much so that I went on to read the many other novels that she wrote but Your Blues, along with What You Owe Me and Sweet Summer, Growing Up With and Without My Dad, were my favorites.

This is what she had to say on becoming a writer:

I was constantly rejected for five years. By attending very supportive writers' workshops I learned that when the world is telling me no I must surround myself with people who are telling me yes. I don't think I would have ever been published if I hadn't found the friendship and support I needed in the workshops.

No comments: