11.29.2006

Schoolteacher Disembowelled for Teaching Girls

The gunmen came in the night . . .

Like only a coward would do, but being cowards they disemboweled the schoolteacher then tore apart his limbs and displayed the remains as a warning to others. All for teaching girls to read, to write, to think . . . to question. It is easier to be a slave if you cannot think on your own. I guess this is what those type of men desire, slaves instead of educated wives and daughters. Illiteracy means you must trust and rely on the words of the one interpreting the book (the Koran, the Bible, etc).

I don't understand the ignorance of one who would forbid another from an education. I've heard people say it is fear that makes a man harm another but I'm not so sure. I can understand the fear that provokes a mother to protect herself and child(ren) but to commit violence against a person who has brought you no harm is insane! If that is true, then does fear equal war. Is it a coward who bombs from the sky rather than meet a man, hand to hand, face to face?

I can't imagine losing my first grade teacher, Ms. Root. She was wonderful. I don't know if it was her being my first grade teacher that made her so wonderful or that it was her belief in me (and I knew this even at six). Or heaven forbid someone causing harm to my mom for teaching me the Lord's Prayer, the alphabet, how to spell my name. GEEZ! Or Ms. Sullivan for teaching me to appreciate classical music. And now that I'm older, I appreciate it more. I could go on but I suppose I'm writing this because after reading the article I became angry and annoyed and needed something to do with the emotional storm.

What should be done with a person who'd torture a human being for teaching little girls to read and write? What kind of a (in)human would do such a thing?

No comments: