5.17.2006

A woman is nothing without a man. Don't you forget it! That message continues to be loud and clear and has been brought out by the fictitious I found the book boring except for a few pieces here or there so I'm not anxious to see the movie (even though Tom Hanks is the star and Ron Howard the director). In fact I can't remember much of the here or there except somewhere in the meat of pages 100ish where the author states something along the lines of "demonizing women" (I've always used that phrase). For the most part I recall being bored and rushing through chapters excited about the possibilities???? only to encounter a disappointing end (I should have read the book before all the hype). All this talk about Mary Magdelene being Jesus's wife. No one seemed interested in her before. Neither she or Mary, mother of "God", warranted a chapter like Esther (worldly king's concubine and contestant in a pageant to be the next queen). But lo and behold, an author (male) writes a piece of fiction (to which the "precious" is protected and held in secret by a group of prestigious men) and ties her to Jesus's bed. Voila! Magdelene is famous. Suddenly she's some sort of deity (to some folks) all because she married Jesus. I guess that's fair. I mean if I married a king, wouldn't that make me a queen? But then couldn't she have been a goddess without marrying? Or maybe she was never married to Jesus but his chick on the side, his favorite red-haired disciple - the beloved, the one Jesus loved.

No comments: